The Olympus E-M5 Mark II is a mirrorless camera that has been designed to cater to the needs of professional photographers. The camera boasts of a 16-megapixel Micro Four Thirds sensor and an enhanced 5-axis anti-shake system that ensures that you get clear and sharp pictures every time. The camera is also equipped with a large electronic viewfinder that provides a detailed view of the subject, making it easier to compose shots.
The Olympus E-M5 Mark II has received rave reviews from photographers and critics alike. The camera has been praised for its compact size, excellent image quality, and advanced features. The camera is also highly customizable, allowing photographers to tweak settings according to their preferences. Overall, the Olympus E-M5 Mark II is a great camera for professional photographers who are looking for a high-quality camera that is easy to use and provides excellent results.
Key Specifications of the Olympus E-M5 Mark II Camera
The Olympus E-M5 Mark II is a mirrorless camera that was released in 2015. It is a successor to the E-M5 and features a 16-megapixel Micro Four Thirds sensor. Here are some of its key specifications:
|16-megapixel Micro Four Thirds
|5-axis in-body stabilization
|10fps (5fps with AF)
|1080p at up to 60fps
|3-inch tilting touchscreen LCD
|Approximately 310 shots per charge
The E-M5 Mark II also features built-in Wi-Fi for easy sharing and remote control via a smartphone or tablet. It has a maximum shutter speed of 1/8000th of a second (1/16000th with electronic shutter) and a 40-megapixel multi-shot mode that combines eight images into a single high-resolution file. Additionally, the camera has a weather-sealed body that is dustproof and splashproof.
The E-M5 Mark II is a versatile camera that is suitable for a variety of photography styles, from landscapes to portraits to sports. Its compact size and lightweight body make it easy to carry around, and its 5-axis image stabilization ensures sharp photos and videos even in low light conditions.
An Overview of the Features
The Olympus E-M5 Mark II is a flagship Micro Four Thirds compact system camera that offers a range of impressive features, making it an excellent choice for photographers of all levels. Here are some of the key features of the E-M5 Mark II:
- 16.1 megapixel sensor
- 5-axis image stabilization system, rated for up to 5-stops of compensation and effective for both stills and movies
- 40 MP multi-exposure mode
- 1080/60p shooting and 1080/30p at up to 77Mbps (All-I)
- Improved 5-axis image stabilization in both stills and movie modes
- 10fps continuous shooting, 5fps with AF
- 1/8000th sec maximum shutter speed (1/16000th with electronic shutter)
- Built-in Wi-Fi
The E-M5 Mark II’s most ballyhooed feature is the High Res shot mode. It makes it possible to capture 40-megapixel JPG or 64-megapixel Raw photos, even though the camera’s sensor is a 16-megapixel one. This is achieved by taking eight shots in quick succession, with the sensor slightly shifting between each shot to capture more detail. The camera then combines these shots to create a single high-resolution image.
The camera also features an improved 5-axis image stabilization system, which is effective for both stills and movies. This system compensates for camera shake in five directions, allowing for sharper images and smoother video footage. The E-M5 Mark II also has a maximum shutter speed of 1/8000th of a second (1/16000th with electronic shutter), which is great for capturing fast-moving subjects.
In addition, the E-M5 Mark II has built-in Wi-Fi, which allows you to transfer images wirelessly to your smartphone or tablet for easy sharing on social media or other platforms. Overall, the Olympus E-M5 Mark II is a powerful and versatile camera that offers a range of impressive features for photographers of all levels.
The Olympus E-M5 Mark II is a highly capable and versatile camera that offers a range of benefits to photographers. Here are some of the key pros of this camera:
- Compact and Lightweight: The E-M5 Mark II is a compact and lightweight camera that is easy to carry around, making it ideal for travel and outdoor photography. It weighs just 469g (body only) and has a small form factor that makes it easy to handle.
- High-Resolution Image Quality: The camera features a 16-megapixel Live MOS sensor and TruePic VII image processor that work together to produce high-quality images with excellent detail and color accuracy. The camera also has a High Res Shot mode that allows it to capture 64-megapixel images by combining multiple shots.
- Advanced Image Stabilization: The E-M5 Mark II features a 5-axis image stabilization system that compensates for camera shake and allows for sharp, blur-free images even in low light conditions. This feature is particularly useful for handheld photography and video recording.
- Fast Autofocus: The camera has a fast and accurate autofocus system that uses 81 focus points to quickly and precisely lock onto subjects. The autofocus system also includes face detection and tracking capabilities that make it easier to capture moving subjects.
- Weather-Sealed Body: The camera has a weather-sealed body that makes it resistant to dust, moisture, and splashes. This feature makes the camera suitable for use in challenging environments and weather conditions.
Overall, the E-M5 Mark II is a highly capable camera that offers a range of benefits to photographers. Its compact size, high-resolution image quality, advanced image stabilization, fast autofocus, and weather-sealed body make it a versatile and reliable tool for a range of photography applications.
While the Olympus E-M5 Mark II has many impressive features, there are also some drawbacks to consider.
Firstly, the camera’s battery life is relatively short compared to some other mirrorless cameras on the market. This means that users may need to carry extra batteries or be prepared to charge the camera frequently, especially if they plan to use it for extended periods of time.
Another potential downside is the camera’s autofocus system. While it is generally fast and accurate, some users have reported issues with focus hunting in low-light situations or when trying to track moving subjects. This can be frustrating for photographers who need to capture fast action or work in challenging lighting conditions.
Additionally, the camera’s menu system can be somewhat confusing and overwhelming for new users. There are many customizable settings and options to explore, but it may take some time and effort to fully understand how to navigate the menus and make the most of the camera’s features.
Finally, the camera’s price point may be a deterrent for some photographers. While it is not the most expensive mirrorless camera on the market, it is still a significant investment and may not be within everyone’s budget.
How to Make the Best Out of Your Olympus E-M5 Mark II
The Olympus E-M5 Mark II is a versatile camera that can produce high-quality images and videos. To make the best out of your camera, here are some tips:
- Experiment with different shooting modes: The E-M5 Mark II has a variety of shooting modes that can help you capture the perfect shot in different situations. For example, the Live Composite mode is great for capturing light trails or star trails, while the HDR mode can help you capture more details in high-contrast scenes.
- Customize your camera settings: The E-M5 Mark II allows you to customize many of its settings to suit your shooting style. For example, you can assign different functions to the camera’s buttons and dials, or create custom white balance presets.
- Use the built-in image stabilization: The E-M5 Mark II has a 5-axis image stabilization system that can help you capture sharp images even in low light or when using a telephoto lens. Make sure to turn on the image stabilization when shooting handheld.
- Take advantage of the tilting touchscreen: The E-M5 Mark II has a tilting touchscreen that can make it easier to compose your shots from different angles. You can also use the touchscreen to focus and take the shot, or to change camera settings.
- Get creative with lenses: The E-M5 Mark II is compatible with a wide range of Micro Four Thirds lenses, which can help you achieve different effects and styles. Consider investing in a fast prime lens for low-light photography, or a telephoto lens for wildlife or sports photography.
By following these tips, you can make the best out of your Olympus E-M5 Mark II and capture stunning photos and videos.
Alternatives to the Olympus E-M5 Mark II
While the Olympus E-M5 Mark II is an excellent camera, it may not be the right choice for everyone. Here are some alternatives to consider:
Panasonic Lumix GX8
The Panasonic Lumix GX8 is a Micro Four Thirds mirrorless camera that offers a 20.3-megapixel sensor, 4K video recording, and built-in image stabilization. It also has a fully articulating touchscreen and a high-resolution electronic viewfinder. The GX8 is slightly larger than the E-M5 Mark II, but it offers a similar set of features and performance.
The Fujifilm X-T2 is a popular choice among photographers who want a high-quality mirrorless camera with a retro design. It features a 24.3-megapixel sensor, 4K video recording, and a fast autofocus system. The X-T2 also has a large electronic viewfinder and a tilting LCD screen. While it is larger than the E-M5 Mark II, it offers superior image quality and performance.
Sony Alpha A7 II
The Sony Alpha A7 II is a full-frame mirrorless camera that offers a 24.3-megapixel sensor, 5-axis image stabilization, and 1080p video recording. It also has a tilting LCD screen and a high-resolution electronic viewfinder. While it is larger and more expensive than the E-M5 Mark II, it offers superior image quality and low-light performance.
Ultimately, the right camera for you will depend on your specific needs and preferences. Consider factors such as image quality, performance, size, and price when making your decision.