The Olympus E-M10 Mark IV is a mirrorless camera that is designed for photographers who want a high-quality camera that is also compact and portable. This camera is the fourth iteration of the E-M10 series and it comes with some notable upgrades that make it a worthy successor to the E-M10 Mark III.
One of the most significant upgrades is the new 20-megapixel sensor and TruePic VIII processor that the E-M10 Mark IV inherited from the E-M5 Mark III. This new sensor produces less noise at high ISOs compared to the older 16-megapixel chip found in previous generations. Additionally, the E-M10 Mark IV is incredibly lightweight and compact, making it an ideal camera for travel and outdoor photography.
Key Specifications of the Olympus E-M10 Mark IV
The Olympus E-M10 Mark IV is a compact and lightweight mirrorless camera that comes with a Micro Four Thirds lens mount. It is designed for photographers who are looking for a camera that is easy to use, yet capable of producing high-quality images. Here are some of the key specifications of the camera:
|20.3MP 4/3″ Live MOS sensor
|Micro Four Thirds
|121 point Contrast Detection AF system
|Low (approx. 80) – 25,600
|60sec – 1/16000sec
|Up to 15 fps with electronic shutter
|4K/30p, Full HD/60p
|5-axis in-body image stabilization
|3.0-inch tilting touchscreen LCD
|Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, USB, HDMI
|Approx. 360 shots per charge
The E-M10 Mark IV comes with a 20.3MP 4/3″ Live MOS sensor that is capable of producing high-quality images with great clarity and detail. The TruePic VIII image processor ensures fast and efficient performance, and the 121-point Contrast Detection AF system ensures accurate and quick autofocus.
The camera also comes with 5-axis in-body image stabilization, which helps to reduce camera shake and produce sharper images. The tilting touchscreen LCD makes it easy to compose shots from different angles, while the Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, USB, and HDMI connectivity options make it easy to transfer images and videos to other devices.
Overall, the Olympus E-M10 Mark IV is a great camera for photographers who are looking for a compact and lightweight camera that is easy to use, yet capable of producing high-quality images and videos.
An Overview of the Features
The Olympus E-M10 Mark IV is a compact and lightweight camera that packs a punch when it comes to features. It sports a 20.3-megapixel Live MOS sensor and a TruePic VIII image processor, which work together to produce high-quality images with excellent detail and color accuracy.
One of the standout features of the E-M10 Mark IV is its 5-axis in-body image stabilization system, which compensates for camera shake and allows for sharper photos and smoother videos. The camera also has a fast autofocus system with 121 cross-type AF points, making it easy to capture fast-moving subjects.
For video enthusiasts, the E-M10 Mark IV can shoot 4K video at up to 30 frames per second and Full HD video at up to 60 frames per second. It also has a variety of video features, including time-lapse and slow-motion recording.
In terms of design, the E-M10 Mark IV has a classic retro look with a modern twist. It has a compact SLR-style body with a comfortable grip and a variety of physical dials and buttons for easy access to settings. The camera also has a tilting touchscreen LCD that can be flipped up for selfies or vlogging.
Other notable features of the E-M10 Mark IV include built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for easy sharing and remote control, a built-in flash with a variety of modes, and a variety of creative filters and shooting modes for added versatility.
The Olympus E-M10 Mark IV has several advantages that make it a great choice for photographers looking for a compact and versatile camera. Here are some of the pros of the E-M10 Mark IV:
- Lightweight and compact: The E-M10 Mark IV is incredibly lightweight and compact, making it easy to carry around for extended periods of time. It weighs just 383g with the battery and memory card included.
- Improved autofocus: The E-M10 Mark IV features an improved autofocus system with 121 autofocus points, making it faster and more accurate than its predecessor.
- High-resolution LCD screen: The E-M10 Mark IV features a high-resolution 3-inch LCD screen with 1.04 million dots, making it easy to review and compose shots.
- Built-in stabilization: The E-M10 Mark IV features 5-axis in-body image stabilization, which helps to reduce camera shake and produce sharper images.
- Good image quality: The E-M10 Mark IV features a 20.3-megapixel Live MOS sensor and TruePic VIII image processor, which work together to produce high-quality images with low noise levels and accurate colors.
- Easy to use: The E-M10 Mark IV is designed to be user-friendly, with an intuitive interface and easy-to-access controls.
The Olympus E-M10 Mark IV is an impressive camera, but it’s not without its flaws. Here are some of the cons to consider before making a purchase:
- Price: The E-M10 Mark IV is not the cheapest entry-level camera on the market. It’s priced higher than some of its competitors, which could be a deal-breaker for budget-conscious buyers.
- Battery Life: The battery life on the E-M10 Mark IV is not great. It only lasts for around 360 shots per charge, which is lower than some other cameras in its class. This could be an issue for photographers who need to shoot for long periods of time without access to a power source.
- No Built-In Flash: Unlike its predecessor, the E-M10 Mark IV does not come with a built-in flash. This means that photographers will need to purchase an external flash if they want to use one. While this isn’t a huge issue for more advanced photographers who prefer to use external flashes, it could be a drawback for beginners who are just starting out.
- No Headphone Jack: The E-M10 Mark IV does not have a headphone jack, which could be a problem for videographers who need to monitor audio while filming. They will need to use an external recorder or microphone to monitor audio, which could be an inconvenience.
- No Weather Sealing: The E-M10 Mark IV is not weather-sealed, which means it’s not as durable as some other cameras on the market. Photographers will need to be careful when using it in inclement weather or dusty environments to avoid damaging the camera.
How to Make the Best Out of Your Olympus E-M10 Mark IV
The Olympus E-M10 Mark IV is a versatile camera that can be used for a variety of photography needs. Here are some tips to help you make the most out of your Olympus E-M10 Mark IV:
- Get familiar with the camera settings: Spend some time getting to know the camera settings and how they affect your photos. Experiment with different settings to find the ones that work best for you.
- Use the camera’s built-in features: The E-M10 Mark IV comes with a variety of built-in features, such as image stabilization and focus peaking. These features can help you take better photos and make your photography experience more enjoyable.
- Invest in good lenses: The quality of your lenses can have a big impact on the quality of your photos. Consider investing in high-quality lenses that are compatible with your E-M10 Mark IV.
- Shoot in RAW: Shooting in RAW format gives you more control over your photos during the editing process. It allows you to adjust things like exposure, white balance, and color temperature without sacrificing image quality.
By following these tips, you can make the most out of your Olympus E-M10 Mark IV and take stunning photos that you can be proud of.
Alternatives to the Olympus E-M10 Mark IV
While the Olympus E-M10 Mark IV is a great camera, there are other options available in the market that might suit your needs better. Here are some alternatives to consider:
Canon EOS M50 Mark II
The Canon EOS M50 Mark II is a popular choice for those looking for a compact mirrorless camera. It features a 24.1 megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor, a DIGIC 8 image processor, and Dual Pixel CMOS AF. It also has a vari-angle touchscreen LCD and built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity. The M50 Mark II is a great option for those who want a camera that is easy to use and has good image quality.
The Fujifilm X-T200 is another mirrorless camera that is worth considering. It features a 24.2 megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor, a fast autofocus system, and 4K video recording. It also has a vari-angle touchscreen LCD and built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity. The X-T200 is a great option for those who want a camera that has good image quality and is capable of shooting high-quality video.
The Sony a6100 is a popular choice for those looking for a compact mirrorless camera. It features a 24.2 megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor, a fast autofocus system, and 4K video recording. It also has a 180-degree tilting touchscreen LCD and built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity. The a6100 is a great option for those who want a camera that is easy to use and has good image quality.
Overall, there are many great alternatives to the Olympus E-M10 Mark IV that are worth considering. Each camera has its own strengths and weaknesses, so it’s important to consider your needs and preferences before making a decision.